VMZINC and sustainable building
Throughout the world, the main aims of environmental quality in building approaches or guidelines are to:
- Reduce impacts on the exterior environment (reducing greenhouse gases, improving water and waste management, etc)
- Participate in the protection of natural resources
- Create a healthy and comfortable interior environment
The main ways in which VMZINC solutions contribute to the environmental performance of sustainable building:
|Environmental objective||Contribution of VMZINC products|
|1. The building blends harmoniously into its immediate environment||
- Varied range of aspects and colours (natural, preweathered QUARTZ-ZINC, ANTHRA-ZINC and PIGMENTO, and bilacquered).
- Large selection of roofing and facade systems.
|2.Pertinent choice of building products, procedures and systems.||
- See PED
- Sustainable, 100 % recyclable products Low level of energy consumption required for manufacturing zinc metal, no maintenance, easy to install and remove.
|3. Low level of nuisance caused by site work||
- Optimisation of site waste (low volume of waste, 100% recyclable).
- Low level of noise nuisance (fast, semi-industrialised installation).
- No air or water pollution.
- No water consumption.
|4. Energy management||- Total adaptability of VMZINC Systems to regulation on thermal requirements, Integrated thermal and photovoltaic solar systems|
|5. Water management||- Compatibility of VMZINC systems with solutions for re-utilisation of rainwater.|
|6. Waste management||- This point does not concern VMZINC products.|
|7. Maintenance management||- This point does not concern VMZINC products.|
|8. Hygrothermal comfort||The structure of ventilated roofing systems enables the evacuation of water vapour created by normal occupation of the premises. The wood used in VMZINC systems has a hygrothermal regulating effect.|
|9. Acoustic comfort||
-VMZINC traditional roofing systems are very effective in terms of airborne noise pollution.
- In terms of impact noise, the acoustic performance of traditional roofing systems is improved by increasing the thickness of thermal insulation (upgrade of thermal regulation requirements).
Sustainable building reference guides (HQE approach, BREEAM, etc.) assess the contribution of building products to the environmental performance of buildings on the basis of quantitative results in terms of Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) (1) provided in Product Environmental Declarations (PED) (2) such as the French Fiches de Déclarations Environnementales et Sanitaires (FDES), the British BRE Environmental Profile, etc.
To position VMZINC solutions in terms of sustainable building, VM BUILDING SOLUTIONS has LCAs conducted for its products and publishes PEDs that comply with the standards of the various markets on which they are sold.
Numerous PEDs on our RWS systems and our roofing and facade systems are now available for download on our website .